Family Matters

A site for me to tell you something about our family

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

An Imperfect Memory

When I began this series on my father's life, I thought I knew more than (apparently) I do...Dates that I should know, escape me and I look everywhere in my files, hoping to find more information. When did my mother and father marry? I have a photo of that day, but no date? I have even lost the date that he died; though I know that he was 65 at the time and that would have meant 1980; but what day and what month?

I will continue as best I can and then fill in the dates as I find them...if I do.

For some of the dates I can use historical events to place Dad there. For instance, I know that he worked for the Department of Water and Power, Bureau of Power and Light for the city of Los Angeles. He was a lineman and during his career, he worked on the building of the transmission lines from Los Angeles to the site where they were completing Boulder Dam. - "In 1938, generators N-5 and N-6 were installed and placed in operation. Generators A-7 and A-8 followed in 1939, bringing the capacity of the powerplant to 704,800 kw and making it the largest hydroelectric powerplant in the world - a distinction held until surpassed by Grand Coulee Dam in 1949." We have photos of Dad in those days, showing him working high above the desert floor as they built the transmission towers and I will try and scan a few of theose for posting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will look through my files and see if I can find some dates for you. I am finding that you knew our father a great deal better than I did. I am fascinated by the history I am reading. Did I just not ask the right questions? Was I born too late and these things had already happened? How I wish our parents had laid down a historical foundation like you are doing for your family (and mine). Thank you.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Thank you for that...I am glad to hear that you're enjoying it. I am as well!

I do wish, as you do...that I had asked more questions. Questions that now seem obvious to me. For instance; where was the last place that Grandpa William Bernie Dunn lived? I seem to remember a story about Oregon, but? Who knows, I may get an e-mail someday from someone who reads this or my other inquiries.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home