Family Matters

A site for me to tell you something about our family

Thursday, July 07, 2005

A Change of Pace

I have spent some time now relating stories of dad and so I think it's time to change subjects and write something of Nana.

Without a doubt, she was our favorite grandmother. And she would often come to spend the weekend with us. Dad would come home early and then tell us to get in the car on a Friday afternoon; we were going to pick up Nana! That involved a long trip through traffic (no freeways) all the way into downtown Los Angeles. She worked in the Lamp Department at J.W. Robinson's, a very upscale department store. Unless dad could find a parking spot near the employee entrance, (not likely) we would circle the block until Nana made an appearance. Mom usually stayed at home to make dinner and I would get to sit in the front seat, with Julie and Kitty in the backseat. We would kneel on the seats, our faces against the windows as we searched the crowded sidewalks for her familiar face. Around and around we went. With many false alarms..."There she is!..."Oh, no, I guess not" until she finally made an appearance and I quickly crawled over the seat and into the back, so she could sit down, up front with dad. Of course we all got hugs and kisses as well, and all the way home, she devoted all of her attention to us.

I actually found a photograph of the old Robinson's parking lot and I will post it as soon as I can locate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home