Family Matters

A site for me to tell you something about our family

Friday, July 29, 2005

Questions


Here's a photo that is titled, "Dunn's" and I don't know any more than that. Who are these people? Is one of them William Bernie, my grandfather?

That question brought back some memories of a time in the late 1940's, when I was 9 or 10 years old. I remember standing in the driveway of our house on Center Street, the brick house, while dad talked to his father. It wasn't a pleasant conversation and I can remember the tension in the air. In my memory, I can't quite see my grandfather's face...I see a tall and thin figure, standing next to his car, there is a lady in the car.

Later, when our grandfather had left, there was a brief explanation from mom; that Auntie Jay had sought a reunion with her father and dad was very unhappy about it. I remember a story about our grandfather having a farm in Oregon? I wish I knew more!

And then...just the other day, as Laurae was sorting photos, she ran across two notes from Grandpa Dunn. He had written to congratulate Laurae and I on the birth of Denise and of Alicia. There were no envelopes with the notes, no way of telling where they had come from. I then remembered when those notes came, and the fact that Auntie Jay had supplied him with our address.

Now I can only wish that I had been more curious and asked more questions of mom and dad.

Make a note to yourself...ask those questions now, while relatives are still alive!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Cousin Cece said...

. . . and now you know!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home