Family Matters

A site for me to tell you something about our family

Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Canadian connection

Let me try and explain this, as clearly as possible. If you’re up to speed on the Seymour family, it will be easy.

But first we have to go all of the way back to my 3rd great grandmother, Phebe S Jennings, born in July of 1815. She married Simon Crammond and they had one child, my 2nd great grandmother, Elizabeth Patience Crammond, born in October of 1842. Unfortunately, Simon died one month before his daughter was born. Phebe later married Leonard Terry and had at least 3 more children.

Elizabeth Patience Crammond married Andrew J. Seymour and they had 5 children, John Leonard, Libbie, Fanny, Charles and Frederic. The last 4 are great grand Aunts and Uncles; John Leonard is my 2nd great grandfather. All clear so far?

Let’s follow great grand Uncle Charles family. He married Margaret Thorp and they had one child, Ruby Elizabeth, born in 1889.

Notes: Ruby Seymour was born in Duluth in 1889. Her father, Charles, was 26 and her mother, Margaret, was 32 at the time of her birth. When she was young, she contacted Scarlet fever or Typhoid fever and after the doctors had given up hope, a lady came to the door and asked if she could try to heal her through Christian Science. When Ruby survived, the family became Christian Scientists and Ruby practiced her faith all of her life.

In addition, when young, her father (Charles) abandoned the family and went off to California. (What? Is this some family curse?)

She would become Nana’s Cousin Ruby. She married James Robertson and they had 3 children, Bruce, Margaret and Ruth; all my second cousins, one time removed. Now let’s follow Margaret, who married George Drake and they had 3 children, Sally, Susan and Bruce. And it’s Susan that contacted me when she saw some inquiries I had made about the Seymour family. Susan, now Susan Drake-Johnson, lives in Vancouver, British Columbia and was kind enough to send me photos and other notes regarding our common ancestors. Susan Drake-Johnson is my 3rd cousin.

I will post some of those photos that I just mentioned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home