Family Matters

A site for me to tell you something about our family

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sisters

I guess I should include a few stories about Nana's brothers and sisters, as they were certainly memorable! I only knew Uncle Len, Aunt Kitty and Aunt Grace.

For instance: Aunt Kitty, who was married to "Putty" Hagstrom, was the Secretary of Saint Louis Federal Savings and Loan (Duluth, Minnesota) ...not a secretary, she was the corporate officer Secretary. And as a corporate officer, she had a new company car every year and every year, Putty, Kitty and Grace would make a pilgrimage to California to see their older sister. Stopping, just coincidentally, along the way in Las Vegas for a little gambling.

Aunt Kitty and Aunt Grace were both quite large, Grace being more rotund and Kitty just overall "big". And they were funny! Kitty had the sharpest sense of humor and could devastate anyone who dared to be pompous around her. Grace was always laughing about something...I never saw her without a smile. And Uncle Putty was a serious looking guy, never smiling...but he was funny, always trying out practical jokes on the unsuspecting.

When I turned 13 or 14, I remember that they came out one summer and decided to go to the Farmer's Market in Los Angeles and to see a television show being made. So off we went in Kitty's big new Buick; Putty doing the driving. I remember being quite embarrassed, surrounded by these large and very loud midwesterners. I mean, it was obvious that they were from Minnesota! Uncle Putty would wear those ribbed undershirts without a shirt over them and Grace and Kitty had floral print dresses on. I would hang back in the crowd, hoping that people would think I was with some other group...any other group!

You know...I miss them!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss them too. I see that the Duluth Library has a file on HAGSTROM, KITTIE SEYMOUR - also known as HAGSTROM, R. J. (MRS.). This is what their site says: This is a list of people about whom the Duluth Public Library keeps a file of information, mostly newspaper clippings. The focus of the collection is people
who have influenced the culture and history of Duluth, the Arrowhead region or Minnesota

I emailed them to see what kind of info is in this file.
Kittie died 1/1/88.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss them too. I see that the Duluth Library has a file on HAGSTROM, KITTIE SEYMOUR - also known as HAGSTROM, R. J. (MRS.). This is what their site says: This is a list of people about whom the Duluth Public Library keeps a file of information, mostly newspaper clippings. The focus of the collection is people
who have influenced the culture and history of Duluth, the Arrowhead region or Minnesota

I emailed them to see what kind of info is in this file.
Kittie died 1/1/88.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home