Family Matters

A site for me to tell you something about our family

Friday, July 08, 2005

Tower


Here is a school photo of Nana at an early age...second row up, third from the left. (short hair) Must have been taken in the 1890's.

A little background on Nana…

Eava Lena Seymour was born in 1887, on the 11th of July. (That’s 118 years ago.) She was born in the little town of Tower, Minnesota.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Tower-Minnesota.html

As you can see by following the link above, Tower is still very much a small town. And note all of the other data, especially the temperature in January and February!

There is some dispute in the records I have seen about the spelling of her name. Some have it as Eva and that was the way she pronounced it. Either way, she became our Nana and that was the end of it…except for our Aunt Jay and cousin Jill, who insisted on calling her Na-Na.

If you look at a map of the area, you will see that Tower is located on the shores of Vermillion Lake and very close to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. It’s also about 30 miles from the Canadian border. ?) I think it’s great that we all have a link to this small town. And one more thing to note…it’s only a few miles from Embarrass, Minnesota, and that town is even smaller than Tower. (How did that name come about?)

What do people do in Tower today? Apparently it is still iron country, with lots of mines still in operation. It was a logging town at one time, but I think that has ceased.

Want the scoop on what’s happening today in Tower? Check out this website…
http://www.towermn.com/

I will try and find some more data and a few more pictures of that area.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to register with the TowerMn.com site? What a great site. Pretty techy for that part of the country. Is there a way I can print your blog as pages so I can create a scrap book of sorts? I would love to capture all this information in a family book. What do you think?

8:04 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Actually...I did register. And I'm hoping that maybe I can find out a little more about Nana from there.

I wondered the same thing about printing...I will explore it. You can do a cut and paste to a word doc though. It would take a little bit of time, but not much.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home