Family Matters

A site for me to tell you something about our family

Thursday, August 11, 2005

More memories of Uncle Len

One of my many memories of Uncle Len was of the trips he would make to downtown Los Angeles. I was taken along on a few of those and found them fascinating, First, he didn't have a car so we would take the bus from Manhattan Beach, transfer in Inglewood and then arrive at the downtown terminal. From there we would walk to the financial district and the offices of E.F. Hutton where Uncle Len would study the "Big Board" before talking to a broker. I was fascinated by the "Board" itself; all kinds of numbers being changed each minute by a group of men with ladders. No electronics in the 1940's! After Unlce Len finished his financial business, it was time for lunch and we would go to one of many restaurants in the distict. Most were long and dark, with booths lining the paneled walls, The ceilings were quite tall and the lights dim. I remember that there were waiters only and no waitresses. The waiters all carried a towel on their sleeve and were very serious. The food? My memory is of a short rib lunch and it still sounds good! After lunch we would walk to a movie theatre where Uncle Len knew the projectionist and would go up the narrow stairs to the projection booth itself. There I would watch the movie through a narrow slot in the wall while Uncle Len chatted with his friend. Of course I loved watching all of the projection equipment at work, the whirring of the reels and the flickering lights.

After an exciting day downtown we would head back to the bus stop and then home. It's only now that I realize what a wonderful gift of memories my uncle gave to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home