Family Matters

A site for me to tell you something about our family

Monday, April 10, 2006

Neglect

As noted...I have been neglecting this blog for some time now. So this morning I reformatted the blog to show 100 posts instead of just a week at a time. Now I have to begin where I left off - in November of last year!

I was reminiscing about Lake Tahoe vacations at the time. And I suppose I can continue with the same theme. Let me think about it...

And what I think I need to do is to search out some old vacation photos to scan. That should revive some of my memories.

It's working...I just flashed back onto some memories of fishing at lake Tahoe with dad.

Our first year of fishing at the lake didn't gain us much in the way of dinners. We really didn't know how to fish this lake at all. It required long lines and slow trolling to capture the Mackinaw trout that lived at such great depths. The second year, dad decided to hire a guide; Hunter was his name and he had a boat that was designed for Tahoe fishing. We observed everything. And we caught fish every time we went out with him. Hunter used braided copper line on large reels that were not mounted on poles, but on the side of the boat. We would troll the largest Dave Davis or Ford Fenders made, with a Tahoe "Shiner" minnow on the hook behind the blades. The fish were found at depths of 300' or more and when you felt a tug on the line, you had to reel in to find out if the tug had been a strike or just the blades passing over a rock. You might have a thousand feet of line out and it would take quite awhile to get it all in. If it had been a fish, the fight didn't last very long, as the fish's air bladder had grown so large that it protruded from their mouth...because of the rapid change in depth.

Back and forth, we would troll slowly. We were usually just about 1/2 a mile off of the shore at Homewood, fishing in a deep canyon. And we would usually come home with 2 or 3 of the large, orange fleshed Mac's.

Now where are those pictures?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home